Monday 14 November 2011

Turisas with Support from Chthonic and Kiuas live review

Sunday 13th November and we were standing waiting in the freezing cold to see Turisas at Sub89 in Reading. This was the second time within a month we’d have seen Turisas and I have to admit, I was looking forward to this one much more than the last time. I was not disappointed.

Kicking off the night were Kiuas, who despite their singer being trapped in Finland, put on an amazing set, and their guitarist can sing! If they hadn’t told the crowd their singer was missing I wouldn’t have guessed (Having not known of the band beforehand) he was that good.

Onto the music, and it was pure power metal, with songs such as Warriors Soul and The Decaying Doctrine providing a brilliant start to the evening and really setting the mood for the rest of the night. Technically they were absolutely amazing  and I couldn’t hear many, if at all, wrong notes. As mentioned before, with the singer being missing and the guitarist having to step in, I was amazed by this.

They are definitely a band I will be checking out again

Chthonic followed and again I was completely blown away. For me these were the best band of the night, though it was a tough choice. They were amazing, they had a huge stage presence and their music was absolutely brutal. Also the fact that they actually used an erhu live to go with the music definitely made it all a lot more interesting.  

They played a mix of songs from all of their albums so they also knew to cater to all fans, and during the show and afterwards they made themselves extremely approachable.

Again this wasn’t a band I knew to much about beforehand, but when I got home I looked everything up on them and bought Tasakago Army from them, so they definitely touched something within me.

Finally Turisas were on, and they nearly got best band of the night for me, but I was just so blown away by Chthonic. As I mentioned before this was the 2nd time I’d seen them in a month (with the first being at Heidenfest on the 11th October) so I knew what I was getting and I was not disappointed.

They played a mix of songs from The Vangarian Way and Stand up and Fight! And a few from Battle Metal, which provided the crowd a good mix of songs. They played all their classics such as Holmgard and Beyond, Stand up and Fight, Battle Metal and their cover of Boney M’s Rasputin, which as the venue has a disco ball, was even better with the funky disco lights.

At the end of the show, the entire band walked forward and shook hands with the audience members which was a surprise, but a pleasant one. Definitely increased my respect for them.

Only disappointing part of the entire show for me was there were some complete idiots in the crowd, who chucked a bottle which struck Warlord Nygard in the face, which although he took it in good grace, was completely disrespectful to the entire band. This put a slight dampener on the entire affair for me.

Overall however, I cannot complain, as was an amazing night, Will definitely be checking all the bands out in the future.

Kiuas- 7/10
Chthonic- 9/10
Turisas- 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment