Tuesday 20 December 2011

Will's top 10 of 2011

As the year draws to it’s end and the dawn of 2012 is on the horizon, lets count down and celebrate my favourite albums of the year, oh and bring on the inevitable new years hangover.


10. Surtur Rising – Amon Amarth

I had to put this album in here, but it was actually a bit of a disappointment, however I can’t get enough of Vikings and their Metal, so I still loved the album regardless of it’s being a better release in my head than it was in my ears.

9. Back Through Time - Alestorm
In at nine is the latest release from Pirate metal pioneers Alestorm. Many a nights rum drinking was done with this album as the soundtrack, it’s just a shame they don’t dress up as pirates live!

8. Unto the Locust – Machine Head

With Machine Head having been a staple of my music collection for some time I couldn’t not include Unto the Locust, and as much as some people might consider it an unwelcome departure from Machine Heads best I wouldn’t have been as impressed by the album if it had been a copy of previous releases.

7. The Unforgiving – Within Temptation

This album surprised even me, mainly as I’d never been into Within Temptation, then I heard this album and it lead me down the rabbit hole so to speak, and what a journey I went on.

6. Evanescence – Evanescence

What’s not to love about this self titled release, it’s a welcome return to Evanescence and Amy Lee in particular doing what they do best, making damn good music, back on form and a much better album than The Open Door.

5. Fragile Alignments - Nami

This album surprised the hell out of me, I am for the most part not a fan of Prog Metal, but this may well have swayed me to change my mind. An absolutely beautiful and brutal album, I suggest people check these guys out.

4. More Monsters and Sprites – Skrillex

Though technically not an album, I can’t stop listening to this, especially First Of The Year (Equinox), that song sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. And the video is even more chilling, extremely sinister but awesome at the same time.

3. Glory Days – The Hype Theory

A great poppunk album and a great band, upbeat and just a lot of fun to listen to, I can’t say much else other than, listen and enjoy!

2. Stand up and Fight – Turisas

By far my favourite band of the moment, and another awesome album, something I can and have listened to again and again, each time noticing subtle nuances that just make me appreciate it even more.

1. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea – Black Stone Cherry

Nothing to do with the fact I got to listen to this album almost a whole month before it’s release, but it is by far and away the standout album of the year for me, Black Stone Cherry have really come leaps and bounds over the years. Some of the most well written songs I’ve listened to are on this album, from the upbeat and fun Blame it on the Boom Boom to the more sinister Such a Shame, this album just blew me away the first time I listened to it and continues to do so.


And to finish, heres to a merry Christmas and drunken new year to all our readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment